What is an Air Source Kit?
An Air Source Kit, or “ASK,” is a C-model compressor pre-mounted on top of a 1.5 or 2-gallon tank. Air source kits are smaller in scale compared to some of our onboard air (OBA) kits, so ASKs are optimized for use with air horns and air bags.
Why an Air Source Kit?
While VIAIR’s OBA kits are more modular, owing to having all separate components (and thus have more different combinations of parts) and have more numerous options for heavier duty pneumatic applications, an Air Source Kit is suitable for users for which space is an issue. An ASK (Air Source Kit), comes as a compact all-in-one package. Installation is a simpler process since there are fewer separate components.
How to Install an Air Source Kit
We partnered with influencer Big Truck Big RV, who has created a video detailing instruction on how to install an ASK. We thought that this video was an excellent visual aid on how to get an ASK set up, and are featuring it here:
As a summary, below are the steps for installation written out:
- Decide where you want to mount the ASK. If mounting under your vehicle, we suggest to remote mount the filter for the compressor. If you must drill for a mounting location, be sure to avoid any fuel lines.
- We do not suggest mounting this kit sideways or upside down. This can reduce the lifespan of the compressor and prevent water condensation inside the tank from exiting the bottom drain cock.
- Bolt the kit from the bottom of the tank. We suggest using rubber vibration isolators in the installation to reduce noise during operation.
- Connect the kit to your power source using an 8 gauge wire. The kit comes with a pressure switch to automatically shut it off when it reaches the maximum pressure.
- Use a 3/8” air line to connect the kit to your pneumatic distribution system. If your system requires a 1/4” air line, use a reducer.
We hope this information helped. For further questions, please feel free to contact our friendly and knowledgeable customer service team.
- Call us at 949-585-0011 from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- Chat us with our website’s Live Chat feature from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- To reach us after-hours email us at Customer Service, and we will reply to you the following business day.