Want to know which of our product models suits your needs? With the extensive line of compressors we offer, the importance of choosing the right compressor cannot be stressed enough. That’s why we’ve created this guide to help you pick the right Industrial Grade “IG” model compressor.
VIAIR “IG” model compressors are intended to fill air tanks and feature a functional head assembly that includes a newly-developed, patents pending intercooler for higher heat dissipation. All IG compressors contain special sealing attributes to keep them safe from the elements. They are not equipped with an ON/OFF switch or pressure sensitive shutoff device of any kind. The use of a pressure switch and relay is required. All “IG” model VIAIR compressors are equipped with a stainless steel braided leader hose and a check valve. This keeps the compressor from restarting under high pressure which can create an amp draw spike and can cause motor damage. Most VIAIR compressors are equipped with a thermal overload protector that will shut down the unit when overheated. When cool, the thermal overload protector will disengage allowing the compressor to restart as normal.
When looking for the right IG-Model compressor for your application, here are the questions to ask.
What voltage does my application require?
Viair offers both 12 and 24v DC compressors to suit your needs.
How much CFM does my application require?
CFM, which stands for Cubic Feet per Minute, can also play a huge role in choosing the right compressor. Certain applications may require a compressor that is pushing out a higher volume of air per minute.
All Viair Industrial Grade compressors feature a duty cycle of 100 % at 100 psi, meaning they are capable of running up to an hour at time at 100 psi while withstanding the elements.
Applications of IG Model Compressors
Our IG Model compressors can be used for a variety of applications. Here are a few examples:
- Utility Truck Lifts: Using a VIAIR IG Model compressor and VIAIR air tank, a manufacturer of industrial truck lifts have been able to install air horns for signaling use on their vehicles. The use of VIAIR compressors helps improve safety standards for the company and enables them do continue to be major progressive force in the worldwide materials handling equipment industry.
- Agriculture: Our VIAIR 450C-IG (Industrial grade) compressors have been utilized as a pneumatic component of an agricultural industrial grain drill for the last 6 years. VIAIR compressors are hitch mounted to the grain drills to allow for making down pressure adjustments in the field. The pneumatic down pressure feature on the openers allows user-friendly adjustment to fit whatever conditions are encountered. The pneumatic down pressure system eliminates spring breakage and inconsistent depth control.
If your application requires more CFM such as air tools, take a look at our Choosing the Right C-Model compressors blog post here, which would help you get the job done more efficiently.
We hope this information helped. For more information please feel free to contact our friendly and knowledgeable customer service team.
- Call us at 949-585-0011 from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- Chat us with our website’s Live Chat feature from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- To reach us after-hours email us at Customer Service, and we will reply to you the following business day.