VIAIR is known for our extensive line of onboard air systems and portable compressors. These components are reliable, power a variety of applications and make tough jobs easy. Below, we break down the top 3 reasons when to use an OBA vs. a Portable compressor.
When to use an OBA vs. Portable
- Power multiple applications: Utilize one easy system with VIAIR’s onboard air kit to operate numerous devices instantly. Rapidly air up large off road tires to the proper PSI after a long day out on the trail. Easily signal warnings to other riders with the use of air horns, or power air lockers or air tools for the casual home mechanic.
- You Need Higher CFM to Run Air Tools: OBA’s are well suited for applications needing higher “Cubic Feet per Minute” (CFM), which is a measure of airflow used to describe the rate at which a certain volume of air is needed to operate specific applications. Too little CFM and you won’t be able to run your tools continuously, or at all! Dual VIAIR compressors located in each of our dual onboard air systems meet the requirements to run most air tools that require higher air flow (CFM) for your next project.
- Proper tire pressure: Both an OBA or portable compressor can be used to maintain your tire pressure, or air up/down after off-roading. Things to consider while maintaining proper tire pressure include:
- Adequate PSI: Suitable tire pressure is critical for drivers since increased air pressure helps with traction while on the road, but lower tire pressure helps with traction off road.
- Surface Area: While out on the trail, you want as much surface area to touch the ground as possible to increase your vehicles stability.
- Proper Inflation: A large safety concern is making sure that you always properly inflate your tires before getting back on the road. Underinflated tires can cause unsafe increases in heat from friction and also lead to rapid wearing. Both of these issues can lead to premature tire failure.
Quickly inflate large tires with a VIAIR OBA if you are looking for tire inflation and to power additional applications. Use a VIAIR Portable Tire Inflator if you are looking for tire inflation only and the higher PSI increases fill times getting you back on the road faster!
On Board Air Systems
VIAIR’s Onboard Air Systems (OBA) are complete pneumatic systems intended to accomplish various tasks, depending on the kit selected. VIAIR offers OBA systems for smaller compressed air requirements that have a shorter duty cycle need, as well as other systems that provide up to 100% duty cycle and increased air volume by providing a larger tank for compressed air storage. Each Onboard Air System comes complete with compressor(s), air tank, fittings, pressure switch, relay(s), electrical connectors and all applicable accessories.
Our on board air systems are permanently installed in the vehicle for use with multiple applications. These applications include tire inflation, air tools, air lockers, load leveling, air horns and air suspension. Models are capable of airing up to 200 PSI. Depending on your tire size and application, we’ve created a flow chart to best direct your selection seen here.
Portable compressors are best used for “portability,” the ability to be easily carried or moved. These units are not permanently installed; therefore they are easily moved or transported from the vehicle to storage or another vehicle. The single application easily airs up/down tires for proper tire inflation. Portable compressors feature a single compressor with all applicable accessories needed. Models are capable of airing tires up to 150 PSI. Depending on your tire size and application, we’ve created a flow chart to best direct your selection seen here.
Whether you are out on the road, or on a wheeling adventure, make sure VIAIR is your vital air source for all your pneumatic needs!
If you have any further questions, you can always contact us:
- Call us at 949-585-0011 from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- Chat us with our website’s Live Chat feature from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
Email us at Customer Service to reach us after-hours, and we will reply to you the following business day.