Have you been in the market for Onboard Air and wondered how to go about installing one in your vehicle? VIAIR teamed up with Auto Revolution to create a video to help you answer that question! This video features step-by-step instructions with our Heavy Duty onboard air system capable of filling up to 35” tires. We even had the opportunity to shoot the install portion of the video at the facilities of widely recognized Currie Enterprises! John Currie of Currie Enterprises, discusses the importance of “air when you need it”!
VIAIR Corporation offers a complete line up of Onboard Air kits for the off-road market. Each kit is tailored for various applications including: powering air tools, tire inflation, air lockers, and train horns. Our onboard air kits satisfy small compressed air requirements with a shorter duty cycle, to 100% duty cycle setup for heavier duty needs. Each Onboard Air System comes complete with a compressor(s), air tank, fittings, pressure switch, relay(s), electrical connectors, and all applicable accessories.
Take a look at our installation video or follow along with the step-by-step instructions below:
NOTE: The installation instructions in this video are only applicable to single-compressor onboard air systems (Part Numbers: 10003, 10005, 10007, and 20001). For other OBA’s, the wiring is different. If you have installation questions, please contact our customer service team.
Step One: Choose the Location to Mount your Compressor
- Compressor can be mounted outside the vehicle if you have room for it (we suggest relocating the filter if do).
- Choose angle of compressor mount: right side up, sideways, or upside down (although VIAIR recommends mounting upright to keep longevity of the compressor and to avoid overheating).
Step Two: Take Proper Measurements
- Measure mounting holes of compressor and compare that to install area.
Step Three: Install the Components Into Your Tank
- Install fittings into tank ports (for help with plumbing diagrams, click here and scroll to the bottom).
- Remove rubber plug from check valve and connect compressor’s leader hose to tank.
- No sealant is needed as the fittings are coated with sealant already (VIAIR suggests using Loctite® 545 should you need more sealant).
Step Four: Mount Your Onboard Air System
- Drill holes in mounting location for compressor hardware.
- Install rubber isolators onto tank feet to limit noise and vibration.
Step Five: Begin Your Wiring Setup
- Connect pressure switch accordingly (see wiring diagrams here if needed).
- Connect small red wire for small in-dash gauge.
- Always use black wire for ground.
- May need to adjust the wire gauge size (see gauge chart here if needed).
Step Six: Remote Mounting Options for Onboard Air
- Connect filter and air filter cover to compressor (always mount in a dry area).
- If using a remote quick connect coupler, connect the compression fitting to tank and run line to desired location.
Step Seven: Hit the Trail!
- Inflate/deflate as needed
VIAIR is one of the only companies to provide complete Onboard Air system kits. We have an Onboard Air System for any pneumatic need you might have! To learn more which kit is right for you, see our previous blog about Choosing the Right Onboard Air System.
And remember, if you have any further questions, you can always contact us:
- Call us at 949-585-0011 from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- Chat us with our website’s Live Chat feature from 8AM-5PM PT, Monday-Friday
- To reach us after-hours email us at Customer Service, and we will reply to you the following business day.